Hôm nay Etrain sẽ gửi đến các bạn từ vựng của một chủ đề rất quen thuộc và thường xuyên xuất hiện trong các kỳ thi IELTS thật – chủ đề về Work. Các từ không quá khó nhưng để dùng linh hoạt thì cần nhiều thời gian đấy, các bạn hãy cùng bắt đầu nhé!
Các danh từ/cụm danh từ
- A decent/stable/rewarding job (n.p): Appropriate job – công việc ổn định
E.g: Now I’ve settled down so I need to find a stable job to support my family.
- Self – employer (n): Own boss = người tự khởi nghiệp
E.g: I want to be a self-employer because I cannot stand the monotony of some kinds of jobs.
- A good team player (n): somebody who can work well with other people – đồng nghiệp tốt
E.g: I’m a good team player so I cooperate well with my co-workers.
- A heavy workload (n): to have a lot of work to do – nhiều việc
E.g: people have very heavy workloads so they are too stress now.
- A high-powered job (n): an important or powerful job – công việc quyền lực
E.g: Maybe it is not a high-powered job but I still love it.
- Holiday entitlement (n): the number of days holiday allowed – ngày nghỉ phép
E.g: The students who have a part-time job should be aware of holiday entitlement they can deserve.
- Job satisfaction (n): the feeling of enjoying a job – sự hài lòng trong công việc
E.g: It is not a well-paid job but it brings me a huge amount of job satisfaction.
- A well-paid job (n): to earn a good salary – công việc lương cao
E.g: it probably wouldn’t be a well-paid job either but money isn’t everything.
- Manual/ blue-collar work (n): work that requires physical activity – công việc tay chân
E.g: I’d love to work with animals because I enjoy manual work.
- Clerical/ white-collar work (n): work done or the people who work in an office or other professional environment – công việc văn phòng
E.g: The workers with qualifications can find a white-collar job to do.
- Maternity leave (n): time off work given to a woman about to have a baby – thời gian nghỉ thai sản của mẹ
- Paternity leave (n): time off work given to a man when his wife has a baby – thời gian nghỉ của chồng khi vợ sinh con
E.g: An employee is deserved the maternity or paternity leave.
- One of the perks of the job (n): an extra benefit you get from a job – tiền thưởng
E.g: one of the perks of the job is I get a discount on the clothes.
- Sick leave (n): time allowed off work when sick – thời gian nghỉ ốm
E.g: You should know the rights for an employee as a sick leave or holiday.
- Temporary work (n): work done for a limited time only – công việc tạm thời
E.g: it’s only temporary work but the wage I get is so high.
- Permanent job (n): Lasting or intended to last or remain unchanged indefinitely job – công việc vĩnh viễn
E.g: Some people prefer a permanent job rather than job-hopping.
- Voluntary work (n): to work without pay – công việc tình nguyện
E.g: I’m sure a lot of parks rely on voluntary work so it might not be easy.
- Working conditions (n): the hours, salary and other entitlements that comes with the job – điều kiện làm việc
E.g: even though theworking conditionsmight not be the best I think that would be my ideal job.
- Working environment (n): The conditions at work like facilities, co-workers… – môi trường làm việc
E.g: Working environment is a factor that people should take a look while choosing a job.
- Workplace (n): A place where people work, such as an office or factory – nơi làm việc
E.g: health and safety in the workplace are the priorities for the workers.
- Promotion (n): Activity that supports or encourages a cause, venture, or aim – sự thăng tiến
E.g: It is a well-paid job and I receive a chance of promotion.
- An office job (n): A job done in the offices – công việc văn phòng
E.g: I cannot bear the monotony of an office job with long hours working.
Một số động từ/cụm động từ
- To be called for an interview (phr.v): to be invited to attend an interview – được gọi đi phỏng vấn
E.g: you’d probably need a degree to have any chance of being called for an interview.
- To be your own boss/ To run your own business (phr.v): to have your own business – tự làm chủ
E.g: I’d like to be my own boss one day.
- To meet a deadline (phr.v): to finish a job by an agreed time – hoàn thành hạn chót
E.g: They’re always under pressure to meet deadlines.
- To take early retirement (phr.v): to retire early (retire: to reach an age when you are allowed to stop working for a living) – nghỉ hưu sớm
E.g: Few years ago older employees would often take early retirement.
- To do a job-share (phr.v): to share the weekly hours of work with another person – chia việc
E.g: I do a job-share with a friend in a boutique.
- To earn a great deal (phr.v): To have high salary – kiếm được nhiều tiền
E.g: I think it is an ideal job to help me earn a great deal.
- To work with your hand (phr.v): to do manual work – làm việc tay chân
E.g: I’m quite a creative person so something where I can work with my hands would be nice.
- To get sacked/ to given a sack (phr.v): Dismissed from employment – bị sa thải
E.g: There is a risk of getting a sacked in the job market.
- To make redundant (phr.v): To make unnecessary – bị làm cho thừa thãi
E.g: We have enough gadgets to make robots unnecessary in homes.
Một số tính từ
- To be self-employed (adj): Working for oneself as a freelance or the owner of a business rather than for an employer – tự khởi nghiệp
E.g: I know being self-employed would be a challenge.
- Part-time (adj): working less than full-time – bán thời gian
E.g: They go onto part-timecontracts and there were always opportunities for younger people but now jobs are so scarce.
- Full-time (adj): the number of hours that people usually work in a complete week – toàn thời gian
E.g: There are many full-time jobs available for high-qualified employees.
- Career-minded (adj): Thinking of the job – luôn hướng về công việc
E.g: I think she likes staying at home with kids but actually she’s quite career-minded
- To be stuck behind a desk (adj): to be unhappy in an office job – bị mắc kẹt với công việc văn phòng
E.g: as long as I’m not stuck behind a desk doing something boring, I will be happy.
Một số idioms
- To step into one’s shoes (id): Take control of a task or job from another person – theo bước người đi trước
E.g: He failed to notice the ambitious young men waiting to step into his shoes.
- To work against the clock/ to work flat out (id): To work hard – làm việc chăm chỉ
E.g: We need to work against the clock to accomplish the project.
- To pull out all the stops (id): Make a very great effort to achieve something – nỗ lực hết mình
E.g: we pulled out all the stops to meet the deadline.
- To cross the bridge when somebody come to it (id): Deal with a problem when and if it arrives – đối mặt với
E.g: We’re ready to cross the bridge when somebody comes to it.
- To climb to the top of the career’s ladder (id): At the highest peak of the job – trên đỉnh cao của sự nghiệp
E.g: I decided to step into my father’s shoes to become a teacher and climbed to the top of the career’s ladder.
- To be at the bottom of the career’s ladder (id): At the lowest level of the job – dưới đáy của sự nghiệp
E.g: Choosing a dead-end-job makes me at the bottom of the career’s ladder.
- To be/get stuck in a rut (id): to be in a boring job that is hard to leave – tiến thoái lưỡng nan
E.g: I can’t imagine it being the kind of job where you get stuck in a rut.
- A dead-end job (id): a job with no promotional opportunities – công việc không có sự thăng tiến
E.g: I left this place because it is a really dead-end job.
- A nine-to-five job (id): a normal job that consists of an 8 hours a day (approximately) – công việc 8 tiếng 1 ngày
E.g: the idea of doing a nine-to-five job doesn’t appeal to me at all.
Vậy là Etrain đã giới thiệu đến các bạn các từ vựng liên quan đến topic Work rồi. Bước chuẩn bị từ vựng theo topic này sẽ đóng vai trò là bước đầu tiên để chúng ta luyện IELTS Speaking hiệu quả. Các bạn hãy chờ đón từ vựng IELTS Speaking cho những chủ đề khó hơn như History hay Memory and Mind trên website của Etrain trong thời gian tới nha.
Các bạn có thể tìm đến các từ vựng theo topics trong IELTS Speaking khác mà Etrain đã biên soạn để nâng cao vốn từ của mình nhé.