Sau một loạt các bài viết về từ vựng IELTS Speaking chủ đề Music, Work, History…, Etrain đã nhận được sự yêu mến và phản hồi tích cực từ phía độc giả, hy vọng những blog sau này của chúng tôi cũng có thể giúp bạn giảm đi gánh nặng trên con đường chinh phục IELTS Speaking.
Hôm nay bài blog này của Etrain tiếp tục gửi đến các bạn rất nhiều từ và cụm từ hay về chủ đề Books and Films – một chủ đề rất hay và phổ biến trong phần Speaking nhé.
Một số danh từ/cụm danh từ
- Genre (n): A style or category of art, music, or literature – thể loại
E.g: The spy thriller is a very masculine genre.
- Action movie (n): a film with fast moving scenes, often containing violence – phim hành động
E.g: Especially if it’s an action movie, going to the cinema is my priority.
- Big name (n): A person who is famous in a certain sphere – tên tuổi lớn
E.g: He’s a big name in horror novels writers.
- Director (n): A person who supervises the actors and other staff in a film, play, or similar production – đạo diễn
E.g: He is a well-known director for his talent and character.
- Actor/actress (n): A person whose profession is acting on the stage, in films, or on television – diễn viên nam/nữ
E.g: The actors in the film are so talented that they attract a huge number of audiences come to the cinema.
- Low/high-budget film (n.p): a film made with a small/large amount of money – phim kinh phí thấp/cao
E.g: I prefer low-budget films with high quality.
- Plot (n): the main events in a film or book – cốt truyện/phim
E.g: It has such a great plot that I cannot get my eye out of this film.
- Blockbuster (n): a film that is a big commercial success – phim bom tấn
E.g: “Titanic” is a real blockbuster that anyone want to watch it again.
- Box-office hit (n): a financially successful film – phim có doanh thu cao ở phòng vé
E.g: I usually avoid seeing popular box-office hits which I’m not always keen on seeing.
- Coach potato (n): A person who loves watching TV – người nghiện TV
E,g: I can say I’m a couch potato so I spend hours watching cartoons in my leisure time.
- Soundtrack (n): the music that accompanies a film – âm thanh
- Special effects (n): the visuals or sounds that are added to a film which are difficult to produce naturally – hiệu ứng
E.g: The special effects or the soundtrack makes a film successful beside its plot.
- Bedtime reading (n): something to read in bed before you go to sleep – sách đọc trước giờ ngủ
E.g: I can’t go to sleep at night without some good bedtime reading
- Bookworm (n): A person who enjoys reading – mọt sách
E.g: I am a bookworm so I spend much money on buying books and reading them then.
- A big reader (n): someone who reads a lot – người đọc nhiều sách
E.g: I’m not really a big reader
- The central character (n.p): the main person in a film or book – nhân vật chính
E.g: The central character lives during a period of great social change around the time of the industrial revolution.
- A page turner (n): a book that you want to keep reading – cuốn sách đáng đọc
E.g: It was a real page-turner that I want to read it again.
- A predictable ending (n.p): Able to be predicted – kết thúc dễ đoán
- A slow-moving plot (n.p)
E.g: This film is not attractive at all because it has a predictable ending and a slow-moving plot.
- An adaptation (n): A film, television drama, or stage play that has been adapted from a written work – thể loại chuyển thể
E.g: This is a film adaptation basing on a novel named “The adventures of Tom Sawyer”.
- The setting (n): where the action takes place – bối cảnh
E.g: It’s a historical novel and the setting was a fictional town called Casterbridge
Một số tính từ
- Star-studded (adj): Featuring a number of famous people, especially actors or sports players – nhiều diễn viên hạng A
E.g: This film will be successful because it has a star-studded cast.
- Thrilling (adj): Causing excitement and pleasure; exhilarating – hào hứng
E.g: It’s very thrilling to be here and to congratulate the team on another splendid success.
- To be engrossed in (adj): to be completely focused on one thing – đắm chìm vào
E.g: I like nothing more than to be engrossed in a good book
- To be based on (adj): to use as a modal – được dựa trên
E.g: but actually it was based on a town near where I was studying called Dorchester
- To be heavy-going (adj): difficult to read – khó đọc khó hiểu
E.g: I find books quite heavy-going so I much prefer to see a film.
- To be on the big screen (adj): at the cinema – ra rạp
E.g: seeing a film on the big screen is more exciting than watching it at home on TV.
Một số động từ/cụm động từ
- To release (v): To make public – ra mắt
E.g: This film was released last year at the beginning of the holiday
- To recommend (v): Make (someone or something) appealing or desirable – ngợi ca
E.g: The reviewers recommend that this is the best horror movie coming out this year.
- To end up (v): Perform well in a difficult or competitive situation – kết cục
E.g: Michael had to keep his end up against attacks
- To catch the latest movie (phrasal verb): to see a film that has just come out – xem phim mới nhất
E.g: Unfortunately, we don’t have a cinema near us so we have to go into the nearest town to catch the latest movie.
- To read from cover to cover (phrasal verb): to read a book from the first page to the last – đọc từ đầu đến cuối
E,g: I regularly take out books from the library and usually read them from cover to cover
- Can’t put it down (phrasal verb): isn’t able to stop reading a book – không thể đặt xuống được
E.g: I really couldn’t put it down that fantastic story
- To flick through (v): To look quickly through a book – đọc lướt
E.g: I love flicking through books in a bookshop
- To get a good/bad review (phrasal verb): to receive positive or negative feedback – nhận được phản hồi tốt/xấu
E.g: if a book you want has got a good review I will come to the bookshop to get it
- To go on general release (phrasal verb): when a film can be seen by the general public – chiếu công chúng
E.g: I’m going out to see a film when it goes on general release
Một số idioms
- To have one’s nose in a book (id): Be reading studiously or intently – đọc chăm chú
E.g: Kate always had her nose in a book and liked people in history better than people now
- To please one’s eyes and ears (id): Be amazed by what one sees or hears – thỏa mãn tai và mắt
E.g: The film pleases my eyes and ears.
- To awake one’s interests (id): To start an interest – thức tỉnh một sở thích nào đó
E.g: This book awakes my interests in becoming a novel writer.
- To hold/catch one’s attention (id): Cause people to notice – giữ được sự chú ý
E.g: It holds my attention due to its special effects and sounds.
- To fire one’s imagination (id): To start to use imagination – thức tỉnh sự tưởng tượng
E.g: Because it is a science-fiction film, it fires my imagination about aliens and space.
- To bear the suspense (id): To bring a state or feeling of excited or anxious uncertainty about what may happen – hoài nghi
E.g: I bear the suspense of World War III after watching this movie.
- To be scared to death (id): Too scared – sợ đến chết
E.g: It seems to make me scared to death because of the haunting scenes in the movie.
- To give something two thumbs up (id): To give high appraisal – ca ngợi
E.g: I will give this book two thumbs up due to its meaningful plot
Vậy là Etrain đã giới thiệu đến các bạn các từ vựng liên quan đến topic Books and Films rồi. Bước chuẩn bị từ vựng theo topic này sẽ đóng vai trò là bước đầu tiên để chúng ta luyện IELTS Speaking hiệu quả.
Các bạn có thể tìm đến các từ vựng theo topics trong IELTS Speaking khác mà Etrain đã biên soạn để nâng cao vốn từ của mình nhé.